The Steelers have been reported to be about $10.51 Million over the new $120 million salary cap. Now as a long time Steeler fan I have all confidence in their front office. Here is some of the considerations that I feel would benefit.
Starting point = $130.51
1. LaMarr Woodley - As of this moment Woodley is holding the franchise tag. That puts him at $10 million next year. Get a long term deal done. Get this year down to around $2 million this year with the rest back loaded and guaranty.
Now = $122.51
2. Flozell Adams - Scheduled to make $5 million next year. Reconstruct his deal down to around $2 million. If he doesn't want that then cut him.
Now = $120.51
3. Bryant McFadden - 2011 salary = $2.6 milion. He was unable to contribute to the horrible DBs. Free up the space to allow the 2 drafted CB.
Now = $118.0
4. Limas Sweed - about $1 million. I was a fan when we drafted him, but hasn't done anything but drop balls and sit on the bench. CUT
Now = $117
5. Aaron Smith - $6.6 million. Reconstruct contract. Somewhere around $5 million. He loves playing for the Steelers and is a team player. He would take this deal.
Now = $115.4
6. Antwaan Randle El - $2.3 million. Release him. Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown. Grisham should be the 5 left. Any more then 5 is unnessary.
Now = $113.1
7. Arnaz Battle - $1.3 million. Release for the same reason as Randle El.
Now = $111.8
This opens $8.2 million to spend on free agent and the rookies. This still isn't enough room. The rookies will take up about half of this. Leaving $4.1 million for this year to sign some free agents. They also seem to have a $3 million over draft this year too. Add that to the $4.1 and you have $7.1 Million.
Free Agents still need to sign
Ike Talyor - Let him go.
Willie Colon - around $3 million (if Adams is released which opens another $2 million)
Now = $6.1 left
Trai Essex = just under $1million
Now = $5.1 Left
Nick Eason = about $1 million
Now = $4.1 million
Sign Free Agents
Chris Carr = $2 Million with 3 year deal back loaded
Richard Marshall = $1.5 million with a 4 year deal back loaded.